Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Better-Looking Dock

I just finished transforming this:

Dock-Before.jpg

into this:

Dock-After.jpg

TUAW this morning had a blurb about a new version of Dock Library, a handy little app that takes user-submitted resources from various sites and takes care of the swapping about for you. It offers a preview of what the Dock will look like (using your own desktop background, no less) and lets you switch between skins rather easily. A fine piece of freeware, if you ask me.

Dock-Close.jpg"So what about the stacks?" That's a very clever hack that I found this morning. Each "box" is a small file (with the appropriate icon) that stays at the front of the stack. The perspective of the box gives it a wonderful 3-D effect.

I skinned my work computer this morning, and my iMac just now. I haven't had this much fun playing with Stacks since they first appeared in Leopard.

"Is any of this useful, or just eye candy?" The darker Dock is just eye candy, but the Stack boxes are practical. This way, I have a quickly discernible label to help me identify which Stack is which. At work, I regularly use six Stacks, and this little trick helps me to identify the one I'm looking for without having to hover the cursor over the stack for the tooltip to appear. And it just plain looks cool, and good aesthetics never hurts a workflow.

No comments: