Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Realigning Actions and Values




I was sitting in class tonight, and it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't paid for the venti Caramel Apple Spice sitting on the desk in front of me. I could remember the gal taking my order (she had to ask the spelling of my name), and I remembered playing with the phone while I waited for the drink to come up. (I was trying to remember what my AT&T username and password were to access the in-store WiFi.) But I didn't remember breaking a $20 to pay for the drink.

As soon as I realized this, I had a hard time focusing on what the professor was saying. Ironically or coincidentally, we were discussing values. It's amazing the peace that comes when your actions are in line with your values, and when they aren't, it's equally powerful. I didn't feel bad about it, since I knew full well that it was an honest negligence, but I did want to get back and make it right as quickly as possible.

I returned to Starbucks during the break in class. The same three baristas were behind the counter. They remembered me. They were a little surprised that I'd come back, but thanked me for doing so. We chuckled about the store's chaos earlier, and I dashed back to campus.

And I had to check the AT&T info when I got home.

No comments: